Data - 12/02/2021
14:00 - 15:30
How have science, technology and innovation national systems responded to the COVID19 pandemic?
Building on the findings from the OECD Science, Technology and Innovation Outlook 2021, the event will discuss the critical role that research and innovation have played in tackling the COVID-19 crisis, from improving our understanding of the disease to the rapid development of vaccines.
Drawing on new data across a range of science and innovation policy areas, the 2021 edition of the Outlook also sheds light on the challenges that innovation systems face amid the current economic crisis, and what governments can do to improve their resilience and preparedness for future crises.
After the presentation by the OECD on the main messages from the publication, a panel discussion with policymakers will follow on the role of R&I for a sustainable recovery.
This event is co-organized by the European Commission Directorate-General for Research and Innovation and the OECD Science, Technology and Innovation Directorate, and aims to provide „new insights for EU policy debates“.
Agenda of the event:
14:00 Opening remarks – Julien Guerrier, Director Common Policy and Programming Center, DG Research and Innovation, European Commission
14:05 Presentation of the OECD STI OUTLOOK 2021 „What are the main messages for the EU?“ (Andrew Wyckoff and Dirk Pilat, Director and Deputy Director, OECD Science, Technology and Innovation Directorate (DSTI)
14:30 Panel discussion: “Research and innovation for a sustainable recovery”
• Clara Eugenia García, Coordinator for Science Policy, Spanish Representation to the European Union
• Mikkel Leihardt, Deputy Director-General, Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education
• Jana Kolar, Executive Director of CERIC-ERIC
• Yongsuk Jang, PhD, Chair of OECD CSTP Committee, Senior Research Fellow, Science and Technology Policy Institute, South Korea
• Meg Lauren Flanagan, PhD, Office of S&T Cooperation, Department of State, United States Moderated by Román Arjona, Chief Economist „R&I Strategy and Foresight Unit“, DG Research and Innovation, European Commission
15:25 Closing remarks Rosalinde van der Vlies, Director, Clean Planet, DG Research and Innovation, European Commission
Full agenda is available here.
More information and live streaming link can be found here.