European Research, Science and Innovation Commissioner Carlos Moedas has today appointed seven experts to conduct the search for the next president of the European Research Council (ERC), the European Union institution spearheading fundamental advances at and beyond the ‘frontier’ of knowledge. The committee will be chaired by Mario Monti, President of Bocconi University in Milan. He is also a former European Commissioner and a former Prime Minister of Italy.
The committee will make recommendations to the European Commission in time for the next ERC president to take up duties on 1 January 2020, as successor to the current president, Professor Jean-Pierre Bourguignon.
As the ERC continues to strengthen the dynamic character, creativity and excellence of European ‘frontier’ research, the next ERC president will have a crucial role to play.
Commissioner Carlos Moedas said:
I am delighted that Mr Mario Monti has accepted my invitation to chair the search committee for the next ERC president. The ERC has become a powerhouse of science, and will be a key pillar in an even more ambitious research and innovation framework programme that will follow Horizon 2020. I am confident that Mr Monti and his distinguished group of people from European science and research can help us find the right person to lead the ERC to even greater success.
The search committee members are:
- Chair Mario MONTI
- Helga NOWOTNY, Professor emeritus of Social Studies of Science, ETH Zurich, Former President of the ERC Scientific Council
- Fabiola GIANOTTI, Director-General of CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research
- Carl-Henrik HELDIN, Director of the Ludwig Institute at Uppsala University, Chairman of the board of the Nobel Foundation
- Jules A. HOFFMANN, Chair of Integrative Biology, University of Strasbourg, 2011 Nobel Prize in Medicine
- Alice GAST, President of Imperial College London
- Maciej ZYLICZ, President and Executive Director of the Foundation for Polish Science
Source: European Commission