Date - 30/06/2021
14:00 - 15:30
Cancer is the primary cause of death for Europeans under 65. In the EU, cancer accounts for more deaths in people under 65 than any other disease. It hosts less than 10% of the world’s population, but yet has 23% of all cancer cases. On average, only 1 in 2 cancer patients survive and one in two of us will face cancer in our lifetimes. A successful fight against cancer rely upon identifying, aligning, planning and coordinating actions of these initiatives at the Scientific and Technical level. A task that needs to be done by a neutral, independent, yet competent entity – the JRC. It is in this context that the JRC is establishing the EC Knowledge Centre on Cancer (KCC).
This virtual event is hosted on WebEx. To participate, please register via the following link:
Registration to the launch of the EC Knowledge Centre on Cancer.
14:00 – 14:05 Welcome and Introduction to EC Knowledge Centre on Cancer (KCC)
- Stephen Quest, Director-General, EC DG Joint Research Centre (DG JRC)
- Launch of video Knowledge Centre on Cancer
14:05 – 14:15 Keynote session
- Mariya Gabriel, EU Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture,Education and Youth
- Stella Kyriakides, EU Commissioner for Health and Food Safety
14:15 – 14:25 High-Level Panel Discussion
(Moderated by Stephen Quest, Director-General, DG JRC)
- Jean-Eric Paquet, Director-General, EC DG Research and Innovation (DG R&I)
- Sandra Gallina, Director-General, EC DG Health and Food Safety (DG SANTE)
14:25 – 14:45 Launch of the European Guidelines and Quality Assurance Schemes for Breast Cancer Screening, Diagnosis and Care
Chaired by John Ryan, Director (DG SANTE) and Irene Norstedt, Director (DG R&I)
- Guy Van Den Eede, Director (DG JRC)
- Ciarán Nicholl (DG JRC)
- Annette Janusch Roi (DG JRC)
14:45 – 15:10 Technical Session
Moderated by Sandra Caldeira and Magdalena Stepien (DG JRC)
- What are the competence pillars of KCC?
Manola Bettio (DG JRC, Cancer registry data and information), Jan Wollgast (DG JRC, Cancer prevention), Simona Martin (DG JRC, Rare cancers and the European Platform on Rare Disease Registration)
- How will the KCC support the Europe’s Beating Cancer Plan and the Mission on Cancer?
Barbara Kerstiens (DG R&I), Stefan Schreck (DG SANTE) and Ciarán Nicholl (DG JRC)
15:10 – 15:25 Open discussion with stakeholder, questions from the audience
(SliDo: Q & A), moderated by Sandra Caldeira (DG JRC)
15:25-15:30 Wrap up and close of meeting, Ciarán Nicholl, Head of Unit (DG JRC)
Contact: For information about the event, please contact email@example.com